Pages

Monday, February 27, 2006

Saw the nutritionist Friday

Well, I think I set myself up to be disappointed. I had so much I felt I could get out of this appt. and here I am more confused than before!

Let's go back.
I have Hypoglysemia, or low blood sugar. I understand the need to limit sugars and carbs, so that I don't have the usual spike-drop in blood sugar occur.

I was told by my DR that I needed to cut back on starches, and fruits, and definately the sugars.

The nutritionst says:
NO Cow's milk.
NO types of sugar including sugar substitutes and honey.
NO Milk, Fruits or Juices before 10 or 11 am.
And NO juices at all!
NO Caffiene or any type of soda.
NO eating starches and vegetables at the same meal.
Only 2 friut servings per day and only in the amts. listed.
I am to eat at the specified times and not 15 minutes of variation either way.....on time!
(I can see it now..."Oh, I'm sorry son. I can't change your diaper now beccause if i try I'll be late for my snack. You can wait about 30 minutes more right?:S)

I am to eat 3 servings of vegetables in one setting. I love my veggies, but 3 cups raw or 1 1/2 cups cooked is quite a bit for one setting! She says "You'll feel full." But that's not what I need.

At first she had me at a 1830 cal. per day diet, but I protested as I am pregnant.
"Oh," she says, "You don't need more than normal until you're in the 2nd trimester."
I said, "Yeah, but I'll be there on Wednesday!" So I got her to come up to 2000 cal.
This seems obsurd to us as I have no need to loose weight.
I am sure this will sicken those who have to diet, but I actually have a hard time gaining weight. I can loose 10 lbs. if I get the flu. I don't need to restrict my calories! and especially not while pregnant!!!!!
Maybe you are thinking that by eating "right" I will gain weight.
I do eat right. My DR and the Nutritionist both said I had a very good and balanced diet, except for the fact that my pancrease (sp?) thinks it needs to put out more insulin than it does.

So here we are back to square one of the confusion. I had not been sick for about 2 weeks before Friday's appt. Saturday was my first day trying this diet and I was sick, and felt half starved! I was worse yesterday and actually threw up my lunch (and the snack from and hour before that) in a parking lot. I was so embarased! And once again sick and hungry! Those two things really don't go together well!

I am thinking that I will hve to tinker with this diet and ask an expert on the WebMD forums!
Keep me in mind, and if you pray, I would covet your prayers!

1 comment:

Monica said...

Just got off the phone with my OBGYN and they want me at 2200 to 2400 cal.s per day!

I told some friends on Sunday that it would be better if Crazy was a farther drive for me. It didn't take long for the insanity to kick in!

Thanks for the thoughts!