Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Fruit + Focus = Failure


Galatians 5:22-23

"But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law."


I have been wondering lately about striving for having fruit... it seems sometimes I am looking for fruit in myself and in my children and striving to make it be there.

Perhaps though, it is the natural occurrence of living in the Spirit, and won't show up just because I am trying for it?
Perhaps, it comes only when we seek the Spirit and not the results of His work...
"But Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His Righteousness, 
and all these things shall be added unto you."

It is so easy to emphasize certain behaviors and overlook the real issue... the condition of the heart.

I guess that's why "not everyone who says to me {Jesus} "Lord, Lord." will enter the Kingdom of Heaven." and that some on the Day of Judgement will be telling God how much *they* have done for Him! (Imagine that!)  They have their "fruit" and "good works" to display, but the condition of the heart is "Look how much I did for you God!" ~~ and to think they will be standing face to face with Him Who Gave All for them, claiming their right to enter His Kingdom.
Jesus commended the prayer of the tax collector, "Lord, forgive me, a sinner." and not the lofty prayer and righteous acts (remember how great I am God?) of the Pharisee.

We should certainly have fruit to show; not from our striving and seeking fruit, but from our striving and seeking the Spirit above all else.

No comments: