Pages

Friday, May 04, 2012

Processing

I've been slowly reading Radical, and have heard many convicting accounts of the Ameri-Christian need to be more out-reaching from several sources.  After all the Great Commission does say Go.

I am wondering through all of this though about why we focus on Go and do nothing where we Stay?

If we are to think globally, wouldn't it be good to start by impacting those nearest us?  Does not God place us in such a place as this as well as "at such a time?" 
I am all for thinking less like a spoiled, materialist... and I am trying, to the chagrin of my inner American.  However, I think we are really missing the intent to reach all peoples if we don't look to those who are already in our own circles, neighborhoods and families!

And what impact would we have being a missionary to a foreign country if we lived our lives there the way we do here?  Jesus asked what more people were doing in their own lives than those without faith. (Matt. 5:46)

This is all so convicting to me.  Here in my comfy computer chair, in a nice rural home, with all of the creature comforts.  We pat ourselves on the back for not living above our means -like so many others- and enjoy so many of the blessings of modern convenience.  And it makes me sick to think of the people who could live on the money wasted in my own home. 

As the title suggests, I'm really just hashing out the reality of my own life, and the greater reality of the life God is calling me to...
It leaves me wondering if my little brood of disciples are all He has for me, or if I am wasting the "talents" in only doing as much as so many others... taking care of my family.  I don't think I can just throw more money at it and call it good.  God didn't say "send your check book," but "Go."  Yet in the early church we see that some went, and some financed with prayer and money.  Not all were asked to go, but to stay and impact their own corner of the globe.

Lord, You show me what You would have me do.  Help me to focus on Your Will and Heart, and Your approval, not mans.
~Amen~



No comments: